CVS ExtraCare Rewards: Sign Up + Receive “$4 Off $20 In-Store Purchase” Coupon!
First off, Longs Drugs = NOT a kama‘aina/local business. They’re a mainland chain who used to have 500 stores scattered mostly on the West Coast of the U.S. mainland. They never had a rewards card/program.
CVS purchased Longs Drugs in 2008, but they decided not to change the name of the Longs Drugs stores in Hawai‘i (“Only in Hawai‘i will the Longs name be retained, because of its high name recognition and the geographical separation.” Source: San Francisco Chronicle).
CVS has an awesome rewards card/program called the ExtraCare Rewards Program + it offers some great benefits!
- New members receive a “$4 off $20 in-store purchase” coupon
- Earn 2% ExtraCare Bucks (ECBs) for every in-store/online purchase
- Earn 1 ExtraCare Buck (ECBS) for every 2 prescription purchased in-store/online
- Earn 5 ExtraCare Bucks (ECBs) for every $50 worth of beauty products you buy
- Valuable coupons are occasionally printed on receipts ($3 off $15 purchase” or “$5 off $20 purchase” are some I’ve received)
How to sign up for the ExtraCare Rewards Program?
For Hawai‘i residents, we can’t just stop in to any Longs Drugs/CVS store, fill out a form, and receive our card. Sign-up is currently only available online by going HERE. You have to sign up for an online account at CVS + then you can request your card. After you sign up, they’ll mail you a plastic card + mini card to attach to your key chain.
What are ExtraCare Rewards? What are ECBs/EBs?
They’re called ExtraCare Bucks or “ECB” for short (OR ExtraBucks = “EBs” for short). ECBs are just like store credit; they can be used to purchase most items in the store, with a few exceptions. 1 ECB is equivalent to $1 USD.
When do I earn my ExtraCare Bucks (ECBs)?
You earn them by presenting your CVS ExtraCare Rewards card with any in-store/online purchase you make at CVS.
You earn ECBs by:
- Making any in-store/online CVS purchase (present your card before the cashier scans your items)
- Buying certain products that are advertised in their weekly sales ad; it’ll mention how many ECBs you get for buying the product*
- Presenting your rewards card when picking up a prescription**
*currently not available at Hawai‘i CVS/Longs Drugs stores
*still have to confirm if Hawai‘i CVS/Longs Drugs stores participate in this
How do I get my ExtraCare Bucks?*
Every quarter (3 months), your ECBs will print out on the bottom of your CVS/Longs Drugs store receipt. Or, you can also login to your CVS online account + print out them out. You can spend this credit at aly ny CVS/Longs Drugs location or online at CVS.com.
If you purchase qualifying products during the week, your ECBs will immediately print out on the bottom of your receipt.
*ECBs are only issued in $0.50 increments. Meaning, if you have $2.48 worth of ECBs accrued for the previous quarter, you’ll only get $2 of it printed out on your receipt. You won’t see the extra $0.48 of it.
How do I spend my ExtraCare Bucks?
The next time you shop at CVS/Longs Drugs, present your ECB credit voucher + rewards card to the cashier, and the ECBs will be deducted from your total purchase.
Does the ExtraCare Rewards Program offer other benefits?
If you sign up for e-mail offers, you’ll occasionally receive additional in-store/online discounts and coupons. In addition, within the past year, they offered free product coupons if you were a rewards program member + “liked” their Facebook page (last month, they had a free coupon for a CVS full-sized body wash! $2-$3 value. I redeemed mines at the new Mōʻiliʻili CVS/Longs Drugs. Finally, if you have a Upromise account, you can link to it + earn cash-back when you use certain coupons.
Does the ExtraCare Rewards Program in Hawai‘i enjoy all of the benefits as people on the U.S. mainland?
Unfortunately, we don’t. Some restrictions of the program in Hawai‘i:
- CVS/Longs Drugs don’t participate in the ExtraCare Beauty Club
- For the CVS/Longs Drugs stores on the U.S. mainland: their weekly sales ad usually features a number of qualifying products you can purchase and receive instant ECBs back (i.e., you purchase the item + receive a number of ECBs back that are printed on the bottom of your receipt).